Paid on Call Firefighters
The Portage Fire Department is looking for highly motivated individuals who would like to serve their community.
- Carrying on the great tradition of the fire service.
- Camaraderie of working with other firefighters.
- Education and training opportunities.
- Respond to emergency calls in the City and Townships.
- Receive pay twice a year.
Requirements to join:
- 18 years of age at time of hiring.
- Valid Wisconsin driver’s license.
- Eagerness to commit.
- Must be able to attend meetings and training drills each month.
Applications can be obtained at the fire station or on the Fire Department page on the left sidebar under Related Documents.
Return completed application to the fire station.
Any questions please contact us at:
- 608-742-2172 between 8 am and 4 pm
- 608-697-7064 after hours listed above.
Steps to be taken to become a paid-on-call firefighter:
- Complete application and turn in to the Fire Chief
- Oral interview with the fire department’s Executive Committee
- 3 hour physical fitness test
- Drug test
- Meeting with the Fire Chief
- Placed on roll call and a one year probationary period
- 30 hours in-house training
- Entered into State Entry Level Firefighter training (sponsored by the Portage Fire Department)