For more information, for a guest speaker for your civic organization, or to make a contribution to the CCCS, please contact:
CCCS Liaison Officer
Columbia County Sheriff Dept.
711 East Cook Street
Portage, WI 53901
Columbia County Crime Stoppers, Inc.
Serving All of Columbia County Since 1993
Cash Rewards for Confidential Tips
"Someone other than the criminal has knowledge of the crime."
Citizens can assist the professional law enforcement and in doing so, protect themselves and others.
Citizens need an easy and confidential way to participate in "community policing." When people get involved, more crimes get solved.
WHO WE ARE:
Columbia County Crime Stoppers is a non-profit organization - one of 51 county programs operating in Wisconsin State Crime Stoppers, Inc., affiliated with Crime Stoppers International.
CCCS serves all communities in Columbia County and involves the public, the media, and the police in a fight against crime. Crime Stoppers offers anonymity and cash rewards to persons who furnish information that leads to an arrest. Local, private individuals from every community county-wide comprise our board of directors for 2004.
HOW CCCS WORKS:
When tipsters call, they are given a coded number to protect their identities. The tips are passed onto local police and sheriff departments. If an arrest is made, a reward is calculated by Crime Stoppers and paid confidentially.
Depending on the type of crime, the amount of the reward can fluctuate from $25 to $1,000. 93% of our budget goes to rewards, the remaining 7% go to training, outreach, fundraising, and administrative duties.
Columbia County Crime Stoppers is a private, non-profit organization incorporated under 501-c-3 of the Internal Revenue Code. Contributions may be tax deductible.
CCCS increases public safety throughout Columbia County by providing a confidential means to report crime and criminals. The public service depends on private donations of cash and other supportive services.
The CCCS Board of Directors invites applications for board membership for 3 year terms. Directors are unpaid volunteers from the Columbia County area with an interest in public safety and community improvement.
The tools that the CCCS uses are simple: a confidential telephone tips line, and lots of community awareness. CCCS depends on several corporate good citizens including:
- The Shopper Stopper
- Portage Daily Register/Capital Newspapers
- WDDC/WPDR Radio
- Century Tel & Charter Cable
to help us publicize our program. Many other private citizens and companies help to sponsor advertising and community awareness that is so essential to CCCS success.
To contribute to the ongoing success of Crime Stoppers, please send your contribution or contact us at:
Columbia County Crime Stoppers
P.O. Box 831
Portage, WI 53901-0831
CCCS gladly accepts in-kind support in the form of advertising and media coverage, gifts and supplies for fundraising, and ... CCCS works with it's supporters to garner appropriate public recognition of its donors.
The Columbia County Crime Stoppers also sponsor a high school program called "Fast Cash". Students in participating schools are eligible for a immediate reward for $25.00.
Due to the Portage Police Dispatch Center merging with Columbia County Dispatch Center, all active warrants will be available on the Columbia County website.
If you know the whereabouts of any of these persons, please call the dispatch center at 608-742-2171 or your local Law Enforcement Agency. You can also call Columbia County Crime Stoppers at 1-800-293-TIPS. Callers can remain anonymous and may be eligible for a cash reward.